Joint UITP & SSATP Webinar 2: Key Factors of Success to Formalize Informal Transport and the Significance of Authorities
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has had significant impacts on public transport worldwide and in particular on the informal transport sector, including small and individual bus operators. This sector plays a major role in the urban life of many cities in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East.
The significance of this sector and the evolution of the global situation regarding the pandemic offer the opportunity to step back and discuss a variety of relevant issues. With this aim, UITP together with SSATP are organizing a series of three webinars that will share case studies and present the point of view of various stakeholders from the informal transport sector.
Webinar 2: Key Factors of Success to Formalize Informal Transport and the Significance of Authorities (video recording)
Held on September 21, 2020, the second edition of the informal transport webinar series organized by UITP and SSATP/World Bank examined what it will take to transform the sector. Discussions focused on: (i) the key factors of success to formalize informal transport and (ii) the significant role that can be played by authorities in this transformation process.
The webinar addressed the following questions among others:
- What are the expected gains from formalizing the informal sector?
- What are the key factors of success and failure to formalize the informal sector?
- What framework should be implemented by authorities to facilitate this process?
- How could a project to set up a BRT contribute to transform the informal sector?
- How to involve new mobility services and providers?
Speakers and presentations:
- Mr. Mohamed Hegazy, Director, Transport for Cairo (moderator)
- Mr. Joachim Berghoff, SMMR Project Team Leader, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) (German Cooperation Company)
- Mr. Angel Molinero, Global Head of Government Relations, Asociación Mexicana de Transporte y Movilidad AC (Mexican Association of Public Transport Operators)
- Mr. Erhan Öncü, Transport Planner, Principal & Owner of U-Art Ltd, UITP Honorary Ambassador
- Mr. Benjamin de la Peña, Founder/Director at Agile City Partners
- Mr. Hindolo Shiaka, Director, Ministry of Transport and Aviation, Freetown, Sierra Leone
Monday, 31 August 2020: How has Covid-19 changed the life of small/individual bus operators and authorities?
Monday, 19 October 2020: Innovations and new solutions for small/individual operators: How to adapt to the new normal?